Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Words Speak Louder

I think the biggest reason I consider "You've Got Mail" to be one of God's most awesome gifts, made special just for me, is because I truly believe in the power of one's words. We all know...or should know, and if ya don't know, allow me to break you off with the scripture, "Life and death are in the power of the tongue," and for serious, I firmly co-sign on that. In YGM two complete strangers meet and begin the process of falling in love without having met the other in person. Of course early on Tom Hanks got the advantage, but it certainly didn't take away from the film. And for me, who gets by creating the most fantastical of fantasy situations in my head all day long, that type of ish means the world.

Yesterday I started reading this blog, verysmartbrothas.com and I swear, if it were a book, I would've disengaged from the world so that I could read and read only, sometime yesterday afternoon. I love it...everything about it. Two Black men in their early 30's commenting on everything from love and relationships, pop culture, and the most random of  topics like proper public restroom etiquette. They are witty, funny (I've lol'd quite a number of times), intelligent, and down to earth with just the dollop of bougie I need. No idea what they look like, or actually do in life, or if their internet selves are the Alec Baldwin to their real-life personalities' Stephen or Celebrity Rehab brother. Point is, 24 hours and I'm their biggest fan...and maybe in love with them just a little bit.

I could certainly be the only one who feels this way. And that's just fine, blame the writer in me, but I love the idea that someone's written word could somehow usurp a lot of the standard relationship bs. I'm thinking that even with all my rules and regulations that determine whether or not I'll take a guy seriously, I'd be willing to let some of it go if his writing made me want to do nothing but talk to him all day long. Having someone that I can count on for amazing conversation where I'm smiling or lol'ing in public before I can catch myself, ranks extremely high with me. Even if they live hundreds of miles away and with whom your interaction is much more Jerry and Elaine than Jim and Pam, it's still pretty awesome.

Here's hoping that Shopgirl's and NY152's are still out there, and are on their way to finding each other. But here's also hoping that they are super careful and cautious, cuz it's hella crazies out there and being killed by someone you met on in a chat room won't garner the kind of shock value it may have when the movie came out 12 years ago.

Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment